Tuesday, October 11, 2011

"I Hate Math"

The student that says "I hate math" probably has had bad experiences with a teacher or topic dealing with math. Most of the time, the teacher can make all the difference. But many bad teachers can cause a child to feel as though they "hated" it. A few successes and/or light bulb moments can change the whole perspective on math. I had one math class in high school that made me feel like this. No matter how hard I tried I never got it, but the next semester I had a better teacher who caught me up on what I did not know as well as teach me the new topics. I will try to encourage and teach students to love math because it was always one of my favorite topics in elementary school.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you that the teacher can make all the difference. I usually liked math in school. My algebra II teacher is one of my favorite teachers to this day. But I really did not like my pre-calculus teacher. She made me feel stupid in class one day and she is the reason why I didn't take calculus-she was the only teacher who taught it and I did not want to go through another class with her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that the teacher can make all the difference! If the teacher doesn't enjoy the subject and makes it boring or doesn't teach it well the students will not like it either, but if they make it exciting or fun more than likely the students will want to learn!

    ReplyDelete