Sunday, September 11, 2011

Flashlight Experiment

I chose to shine an LED flashlight in a smaller, very dark room and a semi-dark room of the same size. My roommate has a black curtain in her room and it allows no light in at all. In here, the light did not have a direct beam but brightened up the room quite a bit. I only saw where the beam ended up on the white wall opposite of the source. I could also see the dust particles floating in the path of light.  In my bedroom, there is a light that shines through the window. In this room, the light showed no direct beam. I could see the dust particles floating through the path of light in here as well. In the semi-lit room, the light shined brighter than it did in the dark room. I think this is because more light than just the flashlight was helping to light the room. This observation proved that idea #2 is not necessarily the case. The light in the room did not change whether or not a beam would show.

I also shone the light down a dark hallway. I observed that the light does escape into a doorway but not enough to light up an entire room. There was only about two or three inches of light stretching outside the hallway on both sides. Idea #4 said it depends on where you stand if you see a path of light or the source of light. I agree with this because wherever I moved, I saw a different view.

No comments:

Post a Comment